Kapanui School - Maranga a Whiti - Rise and Shine

COVID-19 update 

20 March

Decision tool

If you haven’t had a chance yet to take a look at the decision tool we sent out yesterday, please do so when you can. It’s helpful for you to understand what the implications could be for your school. If you have any questions about this please get in touch with your usual Ministry contact. The latest version of this decision tool  [Word Doc] clarifies what we mean by a school being “closed”: a school that is “closed” means that students are learning from home or some other location. Teachers and other staff are supporting remote learning and may be based at the school or other locations.

You’ll see from the tool that the decision to “close” a school is based on exposure to public health risk.

It was great to hear that all 150 students and staff tested at Logan Park High School were clear, and the two Southland Girls and Southland Boys students whose parents have tested positive are both well and without symptoms.

The importance of keeping kids learning, and maintaining routine

As you’ll know it is important to keep children and young people engaged in education and, wherever possible, maintaining their usual routines. Routines are reassuring and can support children and young people’s wellbeing, connection with others, and their learning.

We all need to work together and help each other at this time. If your school premises need to temporarily close at any point, schools and parents will need to work together to support students to continue their learning and routine at home.

We’ve been planning for such scenarios using the feedback we received from you through our telephone survey. We’ll update you about this next week.

COVID19 Updates